Access to HE and admission to Italian universities

Access to HE and admission to Italian universities

Access to HE in Italy

In order to accede to higher education courses in Italian institutions it is necessary to hold the State Exam Diploma upon the conclusion of the higher secondary school course, commonly known as “Diploma di Maturità”. For more information you can visit the Cimea website.

Admission to Italian universities

An entry visa is the authorization which allows people to enter Italy. After arrival, the Residence Permit (‘Permesso di Soggiorno’) will allow people to stay (‘soggiornare’).

Please be aware that two factors determine whether you need a visa:

  • Your citizenship
  • How long you intend to stay in Italy

People who do not have an EU-citizenship need an entry visa for Italy.

More info here:

EU citizens don’t need to get a Visa to enter Italy. If they stay longer than three months they need to register at the municipality of the city where they live. Students enrolled in an exchange program in Italy (e.g. Erasmus+) do not need to register at the municipality if they are EU citizens.

Non-EU candidates not residing in Italy for the admission and selection tests must observe Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research’s regulations (Department for University, Higher Education in Art, Music and Dance and for technological and scientific research – Directorate-General for student and study rights).

For a.y. 2023-24, non-EU candidates must apply and pre-enrol to the Universitaly website.

The entry visa for study purposes is issued following completion of the pre-enrolment procedures at the pertinent Italian Embassy.

Non-EU students, staying in Italy for a maximum of 90 days, don’t need visa if they are citizens of the following non-EU/EEA countries:
Albania, Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bosnia-Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Island, Israel, Japan(6 months), Republic of Korea (South), Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, St. Christopher und Nevis, Taiwan**,United States of America, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela.

*Visa exception only with new biometrical passport.
**Visa exception only with passports with personal identification number.

Non-EU citizen coming in Italy for studying for maximum three months from all other countries need a Visa C (tourist visa). The visa C entitles you to enter and reside in all Schengen countries.

Non-EU citizen coming in Italy for studying for a period between 91 and 180 days from all other countries need a Visa D, which entitles you to enter and reside in Italy. It allows also them to travel to other Schengen countries for up to 90 days. This is necessary also for student’s nationals from Switzerland.

Non-EU students wishing to enroll in degree programs must apply for an entry visa for study purposes.

The following documents are required:

  • Visa Application Form
  • ID photo
  • a valid passport with at least three months validity
  • statement of a suitable accommodation in Italy


For more information:

Condividi questa pagina


Pubblicato il:

12 Agosto 2023

Aggiornato il:

14 Agosto 2023