(SSD) Settore Scientifico Disciplinare:
Dipartimento di Scienze Motorie Umane e della Salute - Sezione:
Università di Roma "Foro Italico" Piazza L. de Bosis 6, 00135,
Full Professor of Public Health
MD cum Laude, 1990 Medical School “A Gemelli”, Rome.
Fellow at the National Institute of Hygiene, Budapest, Hungary (1990) Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, NCI, Frederick MD, USA (1991-1994) Visiting Scientist at The Scripps Research Institute, CA, USA (1995) Visiting Scientist at Laboratory Genomic Diversity, NIH, MD, USA (1997) Associate Researcher at The Scripps Research Institute, CA, USA (2005)
Assistant Professor at the Institute of Hygiene of the Faculty of Medicine of the Catholic University Medical School (1994-2002); Associate Professor (2002) IUSM and Full Professor (2005-today) University of Rome “Foro Italico”.
Teaching Experience in different Universities and Medical Schools, presently professor in courses related to Preventive Medicine and Environmental Hygiene, Epidemiology and Health Education mainly applied in the area of Sport and Physical Activity.
- Faculty Dean (2007-10); Master Coordinator (2003-12); Head Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biotechnologies.
- Scientific &Technical Committee (2003-07) and Board of Directors (2007-2013) Interuniversity Consortium Supercomputing Research, Caspur/Cineca;
- Evaluation panel European Commission: DG-SANCO , ECDC ; FP4- K4; Rumanian Research Ministry.
- Member Working Group of CNBB Committee for Biotechnology and Biosafety (2003-2004) ;
- Accredited expert: Ministries MISE, MIUR.
- Coordinator of the National Working Group Sport & Movement Sciences for Health, GSMS-SItI;
- Member WHO working group recreational waters and swimming pool 2010-12;
- Scientific Committee ICSPS 2013, 2017, 2019 Swimming Pool and SPA.
- Higher School in Safety Quality of Food and Beverages, Sapienza University (2004-2010) .
- Founder/Member of MDD University Spin off and scientific director of research start up.
- Associate Editor for Biotech Ann Rev (since 1997); and for New Biotechnology (since 2009); Guest Editor dedicated issue on Molecular Medicine (2012); and Guest Editor Microchem Journal on ICSPS 2013 and Water 2018 (2020 Editor One Health Section), referee for several indexed international journals.
- Prize ISRA SITI 2002, and " ML Profeta 1998; and Prizes SITI 2014 for a study on Legionellosis and a study on application of mfDNA.
- Author over 200 publications, books , patents (H-index: 24; IF > 300; Cited > 2000 )
Valeriani F, Gianfranceschi G, Romano Spica V. The microbiota as a candidate biomarker for SPA pools and SPA thermal spring stability after seismic events. Environ Int. 2020;1 37:105595. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.105595
Gallè F, Valeriani F, Cattaruzza MS, Gianfranceschi G, Liguori R, Antinozzi M, Mederer B, Liguori G, Romano Spica V. Mediterranean Diet, Physical Activity and Gut Microbiome Composition: A Cross-Sectional Study among Healthy Young Italian Adults. Nutrients. 2020;12(7):2164 doi: 10.3390/nu12072164
Romano Spica V, Gallè F, Baldelli G, Valeriani F, Di Rosa E, Liguori G,Brandi G; GSMS-SItI. Swimming Pool safety and prevention at the time of Covid-19: a consensus document from GSMS-SItI. Ann. Ig. 2020 Sep-Oct;32(5):439-448. doi: 10.7416/ai.2020.2368
Clementi M, Signorelli C, Romano Spica V, Vitali M, Conti M, Vitale M. Protocols and self-checking plans for the safety of post-COVID-19 balneotherapy. Acta Biomed. 2020;91(9-S):40-49. doi: 10.23750/abm.v91i9-S.10167
Romano Spica V, et al. Erice 2018 Charter on the role of the National Health Service in the prevention of doping. Ann Ig. 2019;31(6):523-532. doi: 10.7416/ai.2019.2313
Valeriani F, Margarucci LM, Gianfranceschi G, Ciccarelli A, Tajani F, Mucci N, Ripani M, Romano Spica V. Artificial-turf surfaces for sport and recreational activities: microbiota analysis and 16S sequencing signature of synthetic vs natural soccer fields. Heliyon. 2019;5(8):e02334. doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e02334
Valeriani F, Agodi A, Casini B, et al., Romano Spica V; GISIO. Potential testing of reprocessing procedures by real-time polymerase chain reaction: A multicenter study of colonoscopy devices. Am J Infect Control. 2018 Feb;46(2):159-164. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.08.008
- Valeriani F, Protano C, Vitali M, Romano Spica V. Swimming attendance during childhood and development of asthma: Meta-analysis. Pediatr Int. 2017;59(5):614-621. doi: 10.1111/ped.13230. Epub 2017
- Valeriani F, Protano C, Gianfranceschi G, et al, Romano Spica V. Infection control in healthcare settings: perspectives for mfDNA analysis in monitoring sanitation procedures. BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 9;16:394. doi: 10.1186/s12879-016-1714-9.
- Romano-Spica V, et al. Adapted Physical Activity for the Promotion of Health and the Prevention of Multifactorial Chronic Diseases: the Erice Charter. Ann Ig. 2015; 27:406-414.